Introducing the Solana Curriculum: Smart Contracts, dApps, and Command Line Tools
The Solana Curriculum is live. You can now learn Solana’s blockchain protocol and the Solana tool ecosystem interactively by building a series of projects.
This curriculum is made possible by The Solana Foundation, who gave our charity a grant to 100% fund development of this curriculum.
What will this curriculum teach you?
The Solana curriculum contains ten interactive practice projects that will guide you through learning the Solana protocol and their tools.
Through these projects, you will learn how to build and deploy smart contracts, dApps, work with their command line tools, and much more.
There are also five challenging integrated projects to test your knowledge.
How does it work?
The courses will run in a docker container using VS Code and the freeCodeCamp Courses extension.
Here’s a Sample
Which Projects Will You Build as Part of the Solana Curriculum?
These projects consist of two interactive practice projects and one integrated project. Here are the projects:
- Learn How to Set Up Solana by Building a Hello World Smart Contract
- Learn How to Interact with On-Chain Programs
- Build a Smart Contract
- Learn Solana’s Token Program by Minting a Fungible Token
- Learn the Metaplex SDK by Minting an NFT
- Build a University Certification NFT
- Learn Anchor by Building Tic-Tac-Toe: Part 1
- Learn Anchor by Building Tic-Tac-Toe: Part 2
- Build an Anchor Leaderboard
- Learn How to Build a Client-Side App: Part 1
- Learn How to Build a Client-Side App: Part 2
- Build a Client-Side App
- Learn How to Build for Mainnet
- Learn How to Deploy to Devnet
- Build and Deploy Your Freeform App
How to Run the Courses
Follow the steps below to run the courses
Developer Environment Prerequisites
Before you get started, make sure you have these installed on your computer:
How to Run the Curriculum in Docker
Follow these instructions to clone the repo and run the courses:
- Open a terminal and clone the solana-curriculum repo with:
git clone https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/solana-curriculum.git
- Navigate to the
solana-curriculumdirectory, and open it in a VSCode workspace with:
Ctrl / Cmd + Shift + Pto open the command palette, and run
Dev Containers: Rebuild Container and Reopen in Container. VS Code will build the container to run the projects in, it will take a few minutes the first time.
- Once it’s finished, press
Ctrl / Cmd + Shift + Pagain and run
freeCodeCamp: Run Courseto start the courses. This will also take a moment.
- The simple browser will open when it’s done. If it’s a blank white page, use the refresh button to update it and see the courses home page.
- Click on one of the available projects to start a project.
- Follow the instructions to complete the project.
- Have fun!
If you want to switch projects, click the freeCodeCamp logo at the top to get back to the home page.
freeCodeCamp Also Offers a More General Web3 Course that Covers Blockchain Fundamentals
While you are waiting for these courses, you can try the Web3 curriculum which is now in open beta. It will teach you many Web3 and blockchain concepts you will want to know for the Solana curriculum.
Where you can Learn more about the Solana Foundation
You can learn more about The Solana Foundation on their website.